Thursday, October 2, 2008

Carson and Primary Children's Hospital

Here is a picture of some guy's brain off the internet.. just thought you'd like to see that :) ACTUALLY, it is a representation of what we got to see at the Neurologist's office on Tuesday. Carson had another MRI at Primary Children's Hospital and shortly after his 'recovery time' we met with the doctor to read the results. We were hoping for an explanation and maybe even go as far as having a diagnosis; but we fell short of such things and that's ok. We got some more insight about Carson's brain and left more knowledgeable than going into it. First and foremost, there are parts of his brain that continue to progress since the last MRI (one year ago) and there are also parts of the brain that haven't progressed at all. One of the areas that haven't progressed is the part responsible for muscles in his arms and legs and mouth; typically the kids affected in this way are not able to walk.. Carson can walk. Doctor thought that was "odd". Carson stumps modern day technology. We were told that he has developed a cyst on his brain.. also told that it wasn't something to worry about.. (not sure how I feel about that). Without explaining all of the findings, it sufficieth to say that all signs still point to 'Metabolic Storage Disorders' There are three blood tests they can do to be completely sure. We have already completed two of the three.. and they came back normal (we did this last year). One more left. We drew blood for it, but it has to be sent somewhere across the country to be analyzed. It will take at least one month to know. Dr. thinks it will come back ok. We think so too...or should I say, we HOPE so too. If, by chance, it comes back positive, Dr. bluntly informed us that we can expect Carson to live until age 8 or 10. Ok, I guess that's something I needed to know, but maybe a little more tactfully. If NOT positive, then we are officially at the end of our journey of testing. We have completely exhausted all testing for him and the conclusion is simply this: Carson has a mental handicap and will be slow for the rest of his life. I CAN HANDLE THAT! I actually embrace that! Do you know how nice it is to have a 2 1/2 year old baby sometimes? You know that age when kids just start to cuddle up with you and then all of a sudden they grow up and get old?? Well, Carson has never hit that "grow up and get old" part... and I actually love it. When the tests come back I will post the results, but in my heart, I feel they are negative. I've known all along that Carson is just who he is, that's how he was made, that's how he chose to come to Earth and because of it he WILL make it back.. How lucky is that?

18 comments:

The Shepherds said...

He believe he really is lucky. Not in the worlds eyes maybe, but the world doesn't matter anyway right?
I will pray for good results.

Danielle Christiansen said...

I am glad you are getting a few answers. You guys just keep up your faith that all will be o.k. I wish my baby's could stay little like that too. They grow up too fast. You are both amazing parents.

Hill said...

You are awesome, I really feel like you have the right out look on all of this. good luck, we'll be waiting to see what the results say.

JACK!E said...

Wow! I am amazed at your attitude and thoughts on this. It must be hard but you come across SO strong. Admirable. We're praying for that sweet baby.

Jaime Stephens said...

Wow you are an amazing mother Jessica! He is very sweet and you know what mothers know best so I am sure everything will be fine, you will all be in my prayers. Carson is a trooper wow with all of those tests he sure is a special little guy though you guys are an amazing family and a great example to me!

The Walch Family said...

When I taught Severe Special Education in an Elementary School, I got to see parents go through struggles with their children having disabilities, unknown problems, unknown illnesses, and two of my students passed away. While no parent ever wishes these things on their children, I think your attitude is a good one. To be a parent blessed with a child who will for sure return to Heavenly Father and be clean- that's a gift indeed. That won't make this life any easier as you deal with the side effects of that purity, but it's a definite benefit.

Carson's blessed to have you two as his parents. I can't imagine the stress and the agony you've experienced as you've gone through the testing process, but you've handled it better than many people I've known. You're able, even when he's had some delays, to love and appreciate Carson for who he is- for his strengths and for the love and strength he brings out in you. No matter what, Carson will be a blessing to everyone who knows him. My students changed me forever and gave me spiritual insights that I never would have had otherwise.

Morgan said...

jess, you are amazing.
i've always known you to be strong, determined and uneasily shaken. you have always been solid! you are an amazing mother.
i think about you and your little carson often and you guys are in my prayers.
i hope that the results you are hoping and praying for come as quickly as possible.
love ya!
and yes, how lucky are you to have a 2 and half year old snuggly baby?! awesome.

Cori said...

You are one amazing mom!!! I wish you and your family the best, whatever comes your way. My sister has a little 5 year old with almost no kidney function and she just takes 1 day at a time (in fact, that is the name of her blog).

Heavenly Father knows you are strong with a lot of faith and he will bless you for that!!

Carrie said...

Jessica, your attitude is inspiring. Really, I need to look to you for an example of strength more often. Carson is lucky to have you and Jed as parents and you are so blessed to have him.

Chris said...

We never know what is going to be thrown at us do we. Carson is a special gift not everyone has the privilege to have a child that you know will go to the Celestial Kingdom. Now we just need to get there with him. We love him just the way he is.

Jess Hammond said...

You guys are lucky to have eachother Jess. Thank you for sharing your feelings so openly. You are so strong and it helps others to be strong too.
Love Jess

Andy or Laisa said...

Thanks for the brain picture! (ha ha). I sometimes wish that Keilana was still a baby, so yes, you really are lucky. Carson can walk - that is awesome.....I'm sure that the test results will come back negative, he has already surprised the doctor. What a little fighter! Good luck with everything Jess. :D

Dave and Annamarie Nielson said...

Yes I can say I agree with you on having a baby for longer then you normally get. I love it too. I hope you know that we thinnk you are a strong, and admire your stength and optimisim. We will keep you, Jed, Carson, and Zack in our prayers. Heavenly fathers love you!

Rebecca Richards said...

Jess, it has been so long since we last saw you guys and I just found your blog on Andy and Liasa's so I hope you don't mind I take a peek! I had no idea that this was all going on with Carsen, we will keep you guys in our thought and prayers and if there is anything EVER else we could do we would love to help you guys out in this hard and difficult time. Carsen coulden't have asked for better parents!
Becca and Steve Richards
our blog is richardsfamilypage.blogspot.com

jrichards1981 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jasonandlisa said...

Jed and Jessica! It has been a long time since I have seen you guys! I am sorry to hear about Carson. What a blessing to have such a sweet spirit, even for just a short time.

Jesicca said...

I am so honored to know you cute thing! You inspire me to stay close to Heavenly Father and have faith in his eternal plan for each of us individually. I love you and your family. You have 2 very sweet-precious little guys. I pray that the results from the tests come back quickly and give you comfort. God Bless

Lynley said...

You are so amazing and I think you are so right about everything you said.